As Kermit the Frog always says: “It’s not easy being green,” and that’s certainly true on laundry day. Doing laundry may seem like an innocent enough task, but all of that washing and drying can take a toll on the environment. Don’t worry, though. Having an eco-friendly laundry day is possible. You don’t have to give up clean clothes to stay green.
Here are some simple yet impactful ways to cut down on resources when doing laundry:
- Upgrade your machine. If you have an old-school top loader, you’re using twice as much water and energy as you need to. Investing in a front-loading machine will save you money, especially if it’s Energy Star certified! What’s more, the gentler processes of newer appliances are also better for your clothes.
- Dial down the temperature. Opting for cold or warm water settings for your wash and rinse cycles can significantly reduce energy usage. Energy Star estimates that nearly 90% of the energy a washing machine uses comes from heating the water to high temperatures.
- Clean the lint trap. Built-up lint can block your dryer’s airflow, resulting in longer drying times and higher energy consumption. Emptying the lint trap before each drying cycle will help the machine run more efficiently, saving you energy and time.
- The dryer is not your friend. Air drying is gentler on your clothes and consumes zero energy. When you must use the dryer, don’t over-dry. Over-drying clothes can damage the fibers and weaker the fabric. Plus, dryers are one of the most energy-consuming household appliances, accounting for up to 6% of a home’s usage. Running your dryer for longer than necessary means more energy consumption.
- Delete the sheets. Drying your clothes with dryer sheets is like putting them through a chemical attack! These sheets may look harmless and smell great, but they’re filled with nasty toxins that can harm your wardrobe and health.
- Go green with your detergent. Choosing eco-friendly options is a great way to help the environment and keep your clothes clean! Look for detergents labeled as biodegradable, phosphate-free, and plant- or vegetable-based. Not only are these better for the environment, but they also require less packaging and create less physical waste.
- Leave it for tomorrow. Save the environment and your time by running fuller loads of laundry! If every household ran a ¾-full machine, that would eliminate 99 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions. So instead of doing laundry multiple times a week, wait until you have enough for maximum efficiency. You get the satisfaction of knowing you’re helping the planet and have more time to yourself.
- Outsource. Stop spending your time and energy doing laundry – we’ve got you covered. The Sudsies wash and fold laundry service is here to ease your worries (and get your clothes looking their best). Plus, our eco-friendly practices are some of the best, earning us a 5-star rating from the Green Cleaners Council, making us the first dry cleaners in Florida ever to receive such an honor.
While it might not be easy being and going green, we think it can be blissfully simple! But we also believe life is too short to spend it stuck in the laundry room! So, contact us today for details on our eco-friendly services, and let Sudsies handle your laundry needs for you.